Monday, December 9, 2013

Substitute Me

Being in Texas during an ice storm is like shutting down the whole state. Kids are out of school, grocery store shelves are bare and sometime it's to treacherous to even get out and drive!

Over the past couple of days I have had to "substitute" and get crafty on several occasions!

For example: COFFEE! I must have on a cold icy morning, but if you're like me and love a little coffee with your cream and sugar than it's not so fantastic when you run out of Sugar, or Splenda or Equal. I did! So I used a touch of milk and a bit of powdered sugar and made a coffee worth drinking!

Today I ran out of dishwashing detergent for the dishwasher. I am so addicted to the dishwasher that it kills me to have to spend time handwashing dishes, and believe me in 4 days with 5 people in the family you can go through some dishes. I scoured the internet and found that you can substitute 1/2 teaspoon of blue Dawn liquid soap in the dishwasher without suds consuming your kitchen floor. Be careful not to add too much! The dishes were clean, smelled good and were spotless!




During Icemageddon, as we are calling it here in Texas, I got an email from my neighbor who invited me to a "cookie exchange party." Essentially you bake 2 dozen cookies, package them nicely with the recipe and go to a meet and greet and exchange cookies with another person. Problem is, I'm iced in and I'm out of cooking oil. I have substituted applesauce for the oil and the cookies have turned out great! And actually, they are really moist!




Do you have an secret substitutions that you'd like to share? We'd love to hear them! Comment below!


No comments:

Post a Comment