Monday, September 16, 2013

My sister is engaged to be married in October of this year! I was in charge of her Bridal shower and most importantly the Bridal Shower Cake!

Making and decorating cake is one of my "crafty" loves and I have to share this great tip for a simple ombre look cake. The best part about it is that you need only 1 icing tip and only 1 color of icing!

Start off with a simple buttercream icing (I use the recipe off of wilton.com) then add 1 drop of food coloring to that. I used hot pink. One drop of food coloring adds just a hint of color and I iced the cake using rosettes. The rosettes are made with a #21 tip and a circular motion. Ice the cake kind of like you're making little cinnamon rolls, and pipe them close together to cover the cake. Easy peasy!

Ice the top of the cake with this color, then add 2 drops of color to your icing (mix well)for each row of buttercream you pipe onto the cake. All of this can be done in one bowl, too! Easy clean up!

The below is the cake I made for my sister. A strawberry cake with ombre pink icing.

The "I DO" are wooden letters I bought at Hobby Lobby (already blue and glittery) and I just hot glued them onto a dowel rod. The bling ring is a napkin ring from Pier 1 Imports!
Give this ombre cake a try and let us know how crafty you can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment